6.24.2011

Learning about fEaR!

So we took a trip this week to the Seattle Science Center. We had so much fun!!! Anyway, they had the goosebumps exhibit where you learn all about the science of fear. You can try out little fears too. You can put your finger in a little holder and wait for a shock, or get strapped into a falling wall like thing, or put your hand in a little box that might have spiders. Everyone was trying all these things out...NOT ME! Are you kidding! I know there is no spiders in that box, but I don't want to find out what is in there that might feel like one! I hate the anticipation of a shock. Fear of needles? Not me! I could go to the doctor a billion times and I never look away. Doesn't bother me at all. Why? I know what to expect. As soon as it goes in you feel a pinch. No big deal. We go further through the museum and I find myself realizing I have a fear of everything! It's not that I'm actually afraid of everything. I don't like things I can't control, the fear of the unknown or unexpected. Wow, I'm Mr. Monk! I don't like surprises or scary movies. It's not that I'm scared I just really don't like it. In life when things come up that are unexpected stresses, the whole family gets stressed, but it completely takes a drastic toll on me!
We went to the exhibit to help the boys learn more about fear and maybe learn how to over come some of theirs and what I discovered is that I need to REALLY lighten up!
The exhibit further talked about how fear gets you all worked up just like stress and how the two are related in how they can take a toll on your body. So my new goal: lighten up so I don't shut down too early in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment