4.14.2011

My China Hutch...

Still thinking of ideas for the china hutch I purchased on Crags....Ever heard of Somerset Bay? I love this site. I come back to it all the time for inspiration. I love the style, the colors and the way they accessorize!! I enjoy blog land too of course, but I've noticed most sites paint furniture blue or white. Granted, I personally feel just about anything looks amazing either blue or white. However, every once in a great while, I feel like I need something besides blue. This site inspires me to think outside my box. I would love to be brave enough to do one of these muted tones of green or yellow. I can't even express how much I love the photos on this site!

(source)

I don't know why, but I'm a little afraid of soft yellow. As I look at my new craigs find and decide what color to paint it, I am drawn to this yellow cabinet.

(source)

Ahhhhh...doesn't it just make you feel like vacation!? It wouldn't go in my home unfortunately. I could maybe FORCE it to work, but I fear, its just not practical for me. Some more faves from Somerset Bay...










Soon I will post pictures of my new hutch for you (before and afters), but it is not painted yet. Here it is in it's current condition...



As we brought it into the house we noticed that this $50 find is a Thomasville hutch in almost perfect condition. The people who sold it probably should have sold it for $300-500. I am shocked at how nice this piece is, I could never go out and purchase something like this. What a blessing! I have wanted one for so long and prayed that just the right one would come. It even has a pull out for silverware! Why am I surprised when God answers prayer? It is so nice that He cares about the little things.
Now that I have the perfect piece... what to do with it? The wood finish is great. It's a little outdated, but not bad. Actually, I've noticed this finish becoming more prominate again. Paint would really make it look amazing, but for how long? Once we loose that wood finish, it's hard to get it back. Mmmmm, do I paint something this nice!!!??? What to do!?!

I'm leaning toward painting it white and sanding it down. I found this over at a linky party (she has a great tutorial)....

P1050115
Photo from Twice Lovely

I would LOVE to do something like this on the front. Maybe, down at the bottom, coming across just the one side... but I do have artistic limitations and, it looks HARD! I think I want to paint the inside with a blue-grey and white graphic pattern, so my white dishes pop. Something maybe like this....

(photo from Waverly.com)

I would love to hear any comments, suggestions, criticisms...well within reason ;0)


No comments:

Post a Comment